Information about the Lewis Center
The first 20 beds for women opened up on January 1, 2013. The female residents have been settling into Interim Housing – up to 90 days of stabilization as they make their way into Permanent Housing and self-sufficiency!
- From the opening date of July 2, 2012 to October 1, 2012 over 869 individuals and 496 families have been assessed and offered services at the Lewis Center.
- The new face of homeless is children – over 1210 children have come through our front doors in the first 90 days.
- In our school system 891 children have been identified as homeless far this school year through December, 2012.
On December 21, 2012 the Homeless Coalition, Lewis Center staff and residents observed Homeless Persons Memorial Day on the longest night of the year to remember the 19 homeless people in Palm Beach County who passed away in 2012.
Why the Lewis Center? To End Homelessness.
In 2008 community advocates and leaders crafted the Ten-Year Plan to End Homelessness in Palm Beach County. A cornerstone and major accomplishment of the plan was a single-access-point homeless resource center to connect homeless individuals and families to housing and resources – The Lewis Center!
- Named in honor of Senator Philip D. Lewis, a longtime advocate for the homeless.
- The Center is a vital part of the Ten-Year Plan to End Homelessness in Palm Beach County (PDF) a community response system which addresses and aids the fight against homelessness.
- The primary goal of the Center is ‘Housing First”, getting individuals and families into homes. See our FAQ for more information.
Join us as we continue to implement the Ten-Year Plan and End Homelessness in Palm Beach County begun.
A Community Effort
Homelessness now impacts thousands of residents of Palm Beach County. Individuals who never thought it could happen to them are facing a loss of housing. This presents social service demands, health care burdens and policy dilemmas. A community wide effort is required.
- A unique partnership of community leaders from across the spectrum of business, non-profits, government, faith-based entities, formerly homeless, and the community-at-large have all come together to make a difference in other people’s lives.
- The Center assembled a team of community providers onsite, offering each client distinct services for their particular needs.
- Services by the provider partners available at the Lewis Center include, but are not limited to: assessment, interim housing, medical care, life skills, job training and placement
Meet our provider partner team – Gulfstream Goodwill, Adopt-A-Family of the Palm Beaches, The Lord’s Place, Homeless Outreach Team and the Palm Beach County Health Dept.
Finally Back on my feet again
“Sheila” a 52 year old professional with a masters degree in Psychology, was displaced and discouraged. Until she found inspiration, motivation and hope at the Senator Phillip D. Lewis Center. After being assessed, she received the supportive services which provided her with an opportunity to have stability and create some savings. She now lives comfortably in her own 2 bedroom apartment, is employed fulltime, and often calls the center to say “thanks” for the support and services offered to her at the Senator Phillip D. Lewis Center. (Sheila is not her real name). For more uplifting stories of Palm Beachers overcoming homelessness – Watch this Video
Join the team at the Lewis Center
The success and accomplishments at the Lewis Center is largely due to the terrific hard-working team of employees. Do you have a passion for the homeless? Are you willing to take that extra step to see miracles happen? Join the other 69 staff members here at the Lewis Center. And don’t forget – t-shirt day is the last Friday of the month!
Click here to see what opportunities are currently available and how to apply.
Volunteers Make a difference
You can change lives. Join us. Our volunteers make a difference. We are in need of volunteers to help us with Transportation for picking up donations, people to work in the Regeneration Room donation center sorting through clothing and people to join our fundraiser and event committees.
or Contact Us here